The parkway is the area between the sidewalk and the roadway. Trees planted on the parkway are owned by the village.
Actions Prohibited By Village Ordinance
- Cutting down a parkway tree: without written consent from the Public Works Department.
- Wire in Trees: No person shall permanently attach or connect any electric or other wire to any tree on the parkway, nor permit any such wire to come in contact with a parkway tree.
- Signs: No person shall attach a sign, placard or poster on any tree growing in a parkway.
- Foreign Objects: No person shall attach any foreign object (screws, nails, chains, staples, etc.) without written consent from the Public Works Department.
Approved Parkway Tree Species
- Scientific Name: Acer Saccharum
- Scientific Name: Celtis Occidentalis
- Scientific Name: Fagus Sylvatica
- Scientific Name: Ginkgo Biloba
- Scientific Name: Gleditsia Triacanthos
Kentucky Coffee Tree
- Scientific Name: Cymnocladus Dioicus
London Plane Tree
- Scientific Name: Platanus Acerifolia
Swamp White Oak
- Scientific Name: Quercus Bicolor
- Scientific Name: Quercus Rubra
Basswood (American Linden)
- Scientific Name: Tilia Americana
- Scientific Name: Tilia Cordata
- Scientific Name: Pyrus Calleryana
- Scientific Name: Malus
- Scientific Name: Acer Platanoides
Specifications for Planting Parkway Trees
- Trees must be planted 10 feet from any hydrant and 5 feet from any water service.
- Trees must be planted 10 feet from any driveway and 35 feet from any other tree.
- Minimum trunk Size must be at least 2 1/2" in diameter.
- Tree must be off the Village's pre-approved species list.
- Call J.U.L.I.E. (free utilities locator) at 800-892-0123 for clearance before digging.
- The parkway has other utilities in it, therefore, a tree may not always be planted in a desired spot.