Commercial Filming

The Village of Clarendon Hills issues permits for the purposes of filming on the public way (city streets, sidewalks and other city owned property). If you intend to occupy the public way with equipment and/or vehicles, or if you need to block pedestrian or vehicular traffic, then a permit is required.

Small portable productions that do not impede the public (news crews, documentaries, b-roll, etc) often do not require permits. Any filming on private property (homes, office buildings, businesses, etc) must be approved by the property owner or management.

Any commercial producer who desires to undertake a commercial film or tape production within the Village of Clarendon Hills will be required to complete and return a permit packet to the office of the Village Manager within a minimum of 72 hours in advance of the desired productions date. Permit inquiries should call 630-286-5402.


The Village of Clarendon Hills requires that a non-refundable application fee of $75, made payable to the "Village of Clarendon Hills'', accompany any application for commercial filming or taping.  The applicant further agrees to provide a minimum security deposit of $500, prior to commencement of the project.

Depending upon the extent of the use of Village property, the producer agrees to reimburse the Village for inconvenience caused to the Village of Clarendon Hills residents when using public property.  The use of any public property shall be at the sole discretion of the Village Manager.  The following is a rate schedule:

  • Total or disruptive use (regular operating hours) of a public building $1,200/per day
  • Partial non-disruptive use of a public building = $650/per day
  • Total closure of public street or right-of-way = $225/per hour
  • Partial closure or obstruction of public street or right-of-way = $150/per day

The applicant shall provide a report listing the number of vehicles and types of equipment to be used during the filming including their proposed hours of use and proposed parking locations.  Such locations will need to be specifically approved by the Village Manager in order to maintain traffic safety and comply with local ordinances,

Certificate of Insurance/ Declaration Page

The producer shall attach a certificate of insurance, naming the Village of Clarendon Hills as an additional insured, in the amount of $2,000,000 general liability, including bodily injury and property damage, and automobile liability (if applicable) in the amount of $2,000,000 including bodily injury and property damage.  The Village of Clarendon Hills, its corporate authorities, elected officials, officers, boards, commissions, attorneys, employees and agents will be made additional insureds with respect to any and all claims that arise out of or are in any way related to the operations of the filmmaker while present in the Village of Clarendon Hills. The Applicant shall also provide a Declaration of Coverage page affirming coverage. The producer shall also attach proof that the appropriate worker's compensation and employer's liability insurance have been provided for the employees of the filming company.

Hold Harmless Agreement

The producer shall sign the Hold Harmless Agreement in the application with the Village of Clarendon Hills holding the Village harmless from any claim that may arise from their use of designated public property, right-of-way, or equipment in conjunction with the permitted use.